When we posted a picture of this delicious parfait on Instagram and Facebook, lots of people were asking for the recipe. It makes the perfect make-ahead breakfast, snack or even dessert to have on-hand through the week. Adapted from Lori Harder's recipe, this is how we made it:
Apple Pie Quinoa Parfait (serves 4)
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 apples
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil or grass-fed butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey (if desired)
- 1/2 cup quinoa flakes or gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 walnuts, chopped
- 2-4 tablespoons coconut sugar (depending on preference for sweetness)
- 2 cups chia pudding of choice (could also use coconut yogurt)
1. Prepare chia pudding according to recipe, add 1 teaspoon vanilla and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon. Let set according to directions.
2. Follow cooking instructions for quinoa, adding 2 teaspoons vanilla to water. Once cooked, set aside to cool.
3. Peel (optional) and chop apples. Saute apples in coconut oil or butter, stirring often until apples have their own sauce and are slightly soft and sweet.
4. In another frying pan, on low heat, add quinoa flakes, walnuts and coconut sugar. Lightly toast, stirring often and taking care not to burn the sugar. When finished it will make a crumbly, slightly crunchy topping.
5. Combine cooled quinoa and apples. Add 2 tablespoons of maple syrup or honey if extra sweetness is desired.
6. Layer quinoa-apple mixture and chia pudding in small mason jars, glasses, or bowls.
7. Top with crumble mixture and refrigerate for 30 minutes or overnight before serving.